thumb_1412800724-1.JPG
thumb_1412652956-24262_1251638018854_7628960_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1412562018-MVP_65b.jpg
thumb_1412353660-2.JPG
thumb_1411961722-374934_2397988276894_1877393445_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1411889958-Summers_131026_-_Copy__617x800_.jpg
thumb_1411695030-100_5450.JPG
Current Quote
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the most bitter."
~ Confucius
176 Online Now
11 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 165 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 4 All1234
    Username Post: Opinions!!! Who Makes the Best Production Knives?        (Topic#261537)
    Mallard_Machete
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    05-22-03 13:51.41 - Post#261537    

Benchmade?
    Spyderco?
    Cold Steel?
    SOG?
    Boker?
    CRKT?
    Kershaw?
    Gerber?
    Ka-Bar?
    Buck?

I'm very impressed with Benchmade, but they don't go BIG enough for me to give them the nod for being the best. I'm a big fan of the fixed blade knives by Cold Steel, SOG, and Ka-Bar. I'm a big fan of the folders by Benchmade, CRKT, Kershaw, Gerber, and some Buck knives. Boker makes some good knives too. I'm not a big fan of Spyderco yet. I'm just not very familiar with their knives.

Mallard_Machete
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    05-22-03 14:14.14 - Post#261541    

In response to Mallard_Machete

I don't own a single custom knife. I'm just not willing to pay the premium. There are some mighty fine production knives out there that don't cost an arm and a leg.
    A man ain't no man, if he ain't got no knife.

VampyreWolf
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-22-03 14:40.00 - Post#261549    

Spyderco is so far the only company to make a folder that feels comfy in my hand. doesn't matter the size, I can find a comfy grip to use. And the ones I'm into now are 200usd factory from spyderco... 100usd range through my dealer in texas(LEO pricing).

I've handled a lot of the production knives(spent 7yrs shopping in the same B&M, and if it's in the display I've most likely handled it..

Getting a custom skean dhu start of july, having it custom made to both specs and my left hand. start with a basic handle, and take hotspots off until it's formed.
    aka VampyreWolf at BF and Spyderco *The Wise learn many things from thier enemies* Aristophanes

plow_2
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-22-03 15:58.57 - Post#261575    

To tell you the truth you are kind of comparing spiders to snakes. Of all of those listed, if I wanted a hunting knife I would go with Buck folders like the 110. For Tactical the Benchmade or the Spyderco. In my opinion the benchmade and spyderco are far better then the Kershaw and CRKT, but Kershaw and CRKT knives are nice. Ka-Bar knives are good if you are going to combat but for everyday uses you can do better. For fixed blade tactical the Sogs or some Cold steels are hard to beat. Gerbers are pretty good, but like I said, it depends on what you are looking for in the knife. Each company has its own advantages and disadvantages to different situations. If you are looking for an all around EDC I would personally go with a spydie or a benchmade(folders that is). However my EDC right now is a Buck Bucklite because it is light and demon sharp, and a Kershaw scallion because it was a gift and I didn't have to buy it(plus it is cool to flip open when I'm bored.)
    Freedom isn't free
    -Eric

Esav Benyamin
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-22-03 16:41.53 - Post#261589    

Cold Steel makes a lot of good users which you can get at discount. Spyderco and Benchmade are better quality overall, more creative designs, and higher prices.

I would suggest you take a look at Camillus as well. Their Darrel Ralph collaborations are excellent, for the workmanship and the price: both the EDC and the Maxx models.

But Chris Reeve and Strider knives are also production ... Their designs tend to be fairly simple and direct, with excellent materials and manufacture, although the cost is up there with many customs.
    http://www.AKTI.org
    http://www.USKTA.org

Alan2112
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-22-03 21:42.57 - Post#261624    

Man are you in for a range of openions! I'll do my openion of the top five of those that I have tried.

1. Benchmade
    2. Spyderco
    3. Al Mar
    4. Queen
    5. Marbles
    RKBA!

RJ2
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    05-23-03 00:24.46 - Post#261648    

In response to Esav Benyamin

Best bang for the buck(pun intended) production knives,both folders and fixed blades- Buck knife company.Best folders and fixed blades without regard to price- Chris Reeve Knife Company.Microtech also being here but only for their folders.

Zius2
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-23-03 01:30.14 - Post#261654    

Hmm. What is the definition of best? With or without regard for costs?

Personally, I'll probably never buy a Sebenza (as good as it is), because I'd rather have a custom for that price. I'm only interested in modestly priced production knives. Let's say max. $100. For above the $200 mark, I'd rather have a custom.All this doesn't go for military fixed blades.

All that being said, I think that the differences between the knives of most well known companies are too small to say anything conclusive. Some companies have things others can't match, like Benchmade's Axis lock, but many others all offer the same steels and the same locks. Most of the time, it comes down to how one likes a design. And that is very personal.

Marcangel
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-23-03 01:46.10 - Post#261657    

In response to Zius2

In my opinion, the company that produces the best production knife isn't on your list, and that would be Moki. They produce the Wm Henry Evolution, Fallkniven F1, Al Mar Ultralights, Hawk and Osprey, Beretta Busfields, and some others. They are a family run company in Japan, that also produce some knives under their own label and the higher end knives are exquisite. They are also a royal P.I.A. to find! The actions are silky smooth and many of them are inlaid with pearl, abalone or semi-precious stone. Blade steel is ATS-34 or VG-10. They come wicked sharp, and the quality is as good and often better than many handmades.

gailt
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    05-23-03 02:54.54 - Post#261685    

In response to Marcangel

There proably are better but here's mine
    william henry
    microtech
    al mar
    benchmade

Page 1 of 4 All1234
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 1.482 seconds.   Total Queries: 171   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 17:54.06