KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1490310452-IMG_20170323_125412.jpg
thumb_1489339104-FlynnHunter2SM.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
Username Post: Gerber Chameleon?        (Topic#192146)
brianWE
Master Member KnifeNut!
09-20-02 19:41.25 - Post#192146    

I don't think I can recall a new/newish knife that has received so much lack of attention (ok, some sort of double negative...but you know what I mean) on the forums than the Chameleon.
Surely someone, out there, bought one!?
Gotta admit they didn't hit my "gotta have" nerve, either....but the concept was interesting.
Any feedback? Feel free to use a false name

bladetrader
Master Member KnifeNut!
09-21-02 06:24.11 - Post#192212    

In response to brianWE

Brian,
I have only passed one to a customer a chameleon II blister packaged with a free flashlight so it was one of only times I could not handle for fit and finish.I think conceptually and value wise it is a good deal but I have not seen any feedback from anyone else either.
There is another series of knives I have been pleased with and really suprised with lack of traffic and that is The Entrek line from Ray Ennis.Excellent beautiful and very good dollar value but you never see them mentioned so I understand your puzzlement.
Cast a cold eye On life on death Horseman pass by

Defender
Master Member KnifeNut!
09-21-02 08:37.04 - Post#192227    

In response to brianWE

Okay... uh my name is Jeff.... yeah Jeff... or Dave... no Jeff... yeah I'm Jeff...
Anyways I think that the reason this knife has passed under our collective knifedars is the same reason why you generally don't get Hyundai Esteems, Geo Metros or Chevy Cavaliers getting too much mention in Car & Driver magazine.
In the case of the Gerber, its the Blister packed, packaged with a free Maglite (copy) available at your local hardware store for only $39.95. It's an everyman knife and who wants to read about a car that starts at under $10,000, gets 65 miles to the gallon and has all the style and excitement of granny panties.
Basically it is kind of cheapened by the fact that it isn't a limited run of titanium coated, ceramic handled technology that can be bent with a pipe up to 147 degrees (but doing that will void the warranty) and can cut small nations with a single stroke. We often think of ourselves as above all the "common" knives out there like the Chameleon because of our $350 productions and half million dollar, wait for twenty two and a half years custom jobbie that is just us.
Workhorses just don't get the respect that thorobreds do despite the fact that we'd all still be poking fingers up our noses in the dark ages without them.
Bottom line, there isn't anything sexy or exciting or exotic about a knife that you can buy from your local hardware or sporting goods store so it kind of just floats right by unnoticed as we buy out manilla rope to test the latest incarnation of the cqc7 that we just bought from the knife dealer.
Of course maybe that's just me...
Def
New to SOSAK?

bladetrader
Master Member KnifeNut!
09-21-02 11:56.42 - Post#192256    

In response to Defender

Def,
Excellent point never thought of it that way but you are certainly correct.
Cast a cold eye On life on death Horseman pass by

brianWE
Master Member KnifeNut!
09-21-02 12:15.11 - Post#192264    

In response to Defender

Yeah...I have often wondered how mankind survived all those thousands of years before we found the "wonder knives" in the 80s and 90s.
brianWE
The biggest obstacle in the search for Truth is the belief that you have it, already

AlphalphaPB
09-22-02 10:23.41 - Post#192479    

In response to brianWE

Interestingly, the Chameleon was really the knife that captured my interest in knives.

Many years ago, I saw the Chameleon in a big science/outdoors type catalog. I really wanted to get it, but every time I would convince myself that I *really* don't need a big knife. I never got the Chameleon, since I started out with another Gerber knife.

Nifty concept, I've never held one though.

Tommy_Atkins
07-27-03 15:45.11 - Post#284092    

In response to AlphalphaPB

I resurrect this thread from beyond the grave!!

Gerber Chameleon (says 'first production run' on the blade) is my everyday pocket knife. Bought it at the flea market a few years ago for around $18, and have been absolutely satisfied with it. It's the straight blade...holds a nice edge, is easy to care for, and the big index finger loop makes it a nice 'n safe small folder for a born klutz like me.

tddy275
07-29-03 13:44.25 - Post#284574    

In response to brianWE

I have only held it once and considered it a little small for my hand. The loop I felt made this a larger problem than it would have been on another knife. I'm a big guy so this maybe an opinion shared only by those who have larger hands.

Tommy_Atkins
07-29-03 18:30.43 - Post#284632    

In response to tddy275

understandable...I think it would be a bit awkward if wielded by someone with really big mitts.

Smaug
Journeyman KnifeNut!
07-30-03 00:40.17 - Post#284659    

In response to brianWE

For me, it didn't cut muster because it just didn't look cool enough. I feel like a moron saying that, but when you already have more knives than you need, you surely need to make sure any others you get look cool enough that they will keep your attention. The finger hole is a great idea, but it just ruins the graceful lines of the knife, in my opinion. Also, I think Gerber is making too many knives that duplicate each others' functions. Different finishes, different handle materials but the same basic knife? Tsk tsk tsk. They're selling out. This is a little off-topic, but I think Buck is doing it right. They are a bit pricey for what they are sometimes, but they are nice and not too many of their designs are redundant.

This isn't simply repeating what another poster said about exclusivity. All the knives I really like are not exclusive. Very few of them can't be found pretty easily locally. You don't have to be a knife (or car) snob to really like knives. (or cars) I feel sorry for the people that can only get excited about the newest and greatest thing. As much as I love knives, I still see the beauty in the simple and well-executed things. That is the excitement for me. If it isn't for you, fine. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. It's just a shame that it has to take such a chunk out of your wallet, hehehe.

Now, back to developing a good bond with my Old Timer 80T stockman...

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.179 seconds.   Total Queries: 188   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 01:12.11