Got all my supplies and went to work. Contacted my friend and he cut the 3/4" aluminum dowel on his lathe. The inside diameter of the ti tube is .540" so he cut the aluminum down to .541" where it fits into the tube. The other end, where it fits into the stag grip was cut down to 1/2". He also cut some grooves because besides being a "press fit", I was going to use some JB WELD in the joints.
I cut and drilled some spacer material, both white fiber and blue Micarta.
I cleaned everything with acetone, put the epoxy on the end of the aluminum fitting and gently tapped the fitting into the ti tube. I then used a vise and clamp to compress the assembly. It probably didn't need the clamps but I figured, what the hell and used them anyway.
After 24 hours, I took the clamps off.
Using my belt sander, and hand held cloth abrasives, I removed the excess spacer material. I then used my buffing wheel to polish the aluminum and spacers.
I measured the ti tube and cut it with an abrasive cut off wheel on a hand held grinder. Ground the end and epoxied the spacers and bottom plug into the ti tube. Again, I used the clamps. After another 24 hours, I repeated the sanding and buffing process.
I drilled the stag handle for the aluminum fitting. First drilling with a 3/4" bit so the aluminum fitting would butt up to the stag, then used a 1/2" bit so the 1/2" end of the aluminum would fit into the stag. Again, cleaned everything with acetone and epoxied the assembly. This time the use of clamps was necessary.
And that's where I am today... tomorrow I'll remove the clamps and .... maybe "pin" the stag-aluminum joint. We'll see... I'll post tomorrow.