Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1418522352-DSC_0739.JPG
thumb_1418308059-155968_3979336369608_983486530_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1418238104-IMAG0604A.jpg
thumb_1417303599-1939993_10205054310055509_7241977599994909490_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1416949994-1.JPG
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
256 Online Now
24 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 232 guests are online now.
    Username Post: Kydex Scratching Blade        (Topic#918486)
    dabrevel
    01-08-12 07:56.04 - Post#2428985    

Hi all, I made a couple Kydex sheaths and I keep getting sandpaper grit inside my sheathes and it scratches the blades badly. I dont see it and I've tried to rinse, blow and wipe it out but to no avail. Both sheaths I've made have this problem. I realize that there are few kydex experts here, but could anyone tell me a way to keep this from happening. Is there some other medium to sand with that will not leave grit and residue? Does anybody else have this problem and/or how did you resolve it.
    Thanks
    Dave

Nasty
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-08-12 08:30.20 - Post#2429001    

In response to dabrevel

Nope...kydex scratches blades, period.

If not dust you allowed in there, dust from the environment.

Fact of life.

"Life has a special flavor to those who fight for it that the sheltered never know."

Sharpshooter
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-08-12 10:18.06 - Post#2429050    

In response to dabrevel

Kydex CANNOT Scratch a knife PERIOD. Kydex is softer than steel. Kydex sheaths will make a mark on a polished steel blade but it is NOT a scratch.

Kydex is seen by those who never work with it as extremely simple so the world is filled with self anointed experts who know everything about it and how it works. I've made tens of thousands of kydex sheaths so I speak from first hand knowledge and experience.

As for grit in the sheath, the biggest part of the problem comes from cleaning as you know, but you cannot forget tape residue left inside the sheath from the molding process. Heat breaks down the adhesive and it oozes out onto the inside for the sheath.

Sanding grit is a big issue when you make kydex sheaths; the rule in my shop is to blow out the sheath EVERY TIME a knife is test fitted. We also wipe out the inside of the sheath before riveting with alcohol to remove any tape residue that will grab any grit falling inside the sheath.

We also clean the knife, put it far away from the grinding and cleaning area and religiously wipe it down before every test fitting, again to keep grit out of the sheath. When I started actually cleaning the knife as well as the sheath much of the problem disappeared.

I also leave a lot of room inside the sheath for the knife, using as many as four layers of tape in areas that will be small when the sheath is complete. This leaves room for the crap that falls inside to be away from the blade in use. A single layer at the point and the sheath will still seem to lockup "snug."

One last consideration, Kydex sheaths are ideal for USING KNIVES. Knives in use will show wear so the rub marks left by kydex aren't a realistic concern. If the knife is for show, it either stays out of the sheath or should be sheathed in leather, although even leather will "mark" a polished blade.

The proper measure for a kydex sheath is simple, locks up tight enough to hold the knife in its intended environment and releases the knife smoothly and easily. Beyond that you're looking for headaches.
    Experience life on purpose
    BRKCA Mike89
    Sharpshooter Sheaths
    NorthStar Trading Post
    עור פועל

dabrevel
    01-08-12 10:31.46 - Post#2429056    

In response to Sharpshooter

Thanks Sharpshooter, I know it will get scratched but not the blade engravings and gouging I'm getting. I'm currently making one of .093 kydex and it is very difficult to clean inside even before rivets. Its just so darn stiff, like trying to open vise jaws. any Ideas on how to open it enough to get a rag in there? BTW, what thickness do you prefer for medium size knives? I hear people say that Kydex less than .08 is not worth using for knives...what do you say? I think I'm going to try using .060 next, seems like it would be easier to work with. Besides, I'm going to cover with leather so how important is the thickness.
    Thanks,
    Dave

dabrevel
    01-08-12 10:41.10 - Post#2429060    

In response to Sharpshooter

• Sharpshooter Said:

Kydex is seen by those who never work with it as extremely simple so the world is filled with self anointed experts who know everything about it and how it works.....

I thought it would be easy too... Now, though, I wonder what I've gotten myself into. Its ALOT more difficult than I ever thought it would be. The molding process itself is not that bad, but trying to cut and shape it at the right place so the knife will "lock-up" is way more difficult than I realized.

Joseph13
    04-07-12 01:28.27 - Post#2459042    

In response to dabrevel

• dabrevel Said:

I thought it would be easy too... Now, though, I wonder what I've gotten myself into. Its ALOT more difficult than I ever thought it would be. The molding process itself is not that bad, but trying to cut and shape it at the right place so the knife will "lock-up" is way more difficult than I realized.

In my limited experience, using something like a bamboo chopstick to wedge the kydex open to wipe blow or wash out any residue or abrasive media helps. I realize this is an older post but what types of issues are you having specifically if you are still playing with kydex?

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.275 seconds.   Total Queries: 114   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 16:09.33