thumb_1404764053-004.JPG
thumb_1404657528-DSC_0483.JPG
thumb_1404465179-190720104842.jpg
thumb_1404389642-016.JPG
thumb_1403803806-1.JPG
thumb_1403370287-172-Box-Elder-Hunter-a.jpg
thumb_1403211911-1.JPG
Current Quote
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."
~ Helen Keller
300 Online Now
25 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 275 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 9 1234>» Last
    Username Post: Help with WWII Kabar        (Topic#919874)
    signchaser
    02-13-12 14:56.39 - Post#2442842    

Hello, This is my first post so bare with me...
    I bought this knife yesterday. Its in mint shape with the original sheath. It says kabar usmc olean new york. It has a wooden handle and a blackish blade. The elderly lady said her uncle Pappy was a decorated pilot and sent this knife home during the war and kept his other knife to use. That is why its in mint shape.
    Could anyone tell me more about this knife?
    The sheath has a name inside the belt loop. It says Greg Boyington MFS 214....
    Any info whatsoever would be greatly appreciated...Here are several pics...
    [image][/image]
    [image][/image] [image][/image]
    [image][/image]
    [image][/image]

[image][/image]
    [image][/image]

brianWE
    02-13-12 15:23.46 - Post#2442857    

In response to signchaser

Can't vouch for anything....accept that the handle would be leather...not wood.

OH!
    Welcome to KF.
    Brian W Edginton
    I am an old bloke. Sometimes I forget things that happened. Sometimes, I remember things that didn't.
    When I post, you are getting the best I have on the day. Be kind.

signchaser
    02-13-12 15:37.59 - Post#2442861    

In response to brianWE

This is a wood handle!!!!!!!

brianWE
    02-13-12 15:59.07 - Post#2442867    

In that case, you have the rarest Mk2 I have heard of.

Damn' thing looks like all of the other millions of Mk2s from the era. All of the others had handles made from leather washers.
    Brian W Edginton
    I am an old bloke. Sometimes I forget things that happened. Sometimes, I remember things that didn't.
    When I post, you are getting the best I have on the day. Be kind.

signchaser
    02-14-12 02:47.11 - Post#2442902    

In response to brianWE

I broke out the madnifying glass and took a closer look? I believe your right that it is leather...Thanks for the help!
    I collect old signs and know nothing about knives.

Daniel Nighteyes
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-14-12 06:37.51 - Post#2442969    

Signchaser,

I hate to dash an ice-cold bucket of reality on you, but there are several things you need to know about your acquisition.

"Greg Boyington" -- the name that was written on the sheath and therefore the supposed owner of the knife. He was also called "Pappy Boyington", and he commanded VMF-214 (also written on the sheath). VMF-214 is otherwise known as the (in)famous USMC "Black Sheep Squadron". There was an entire television series made about them, and Pappy Boyington was played by none other than Robert Conrad. (I can tell you more about the meaning of "VMF" if you wish, but it isn't germane to the issue at hand.)

Now for the dose of cold reality. Before beginning its important to state that the proper name for these knives is "Mark II". The popular designation of "Ka-Bar" is a matter of historical accident. Now, with that said:

The Sheath -- It is clearly marked with "USMC" and the iconic Marine Corps "Globe and Anchor." Unfortunately, NO MILITARY-ISSUE MARK II SHEATHS WERE EVER MARKED THIS WAY -- and certainly not during World War II when they were first introduced.

The Knife -- Several things about this knife scream "REPRODUCTION!!!" The first is the leather-ring handle. No military-issue Mark II knives EVER had handles that looked like this one. The second is the markings on the blade. Though the words are correct, the appearance is all wrong. Any experienced collector of WWII Mark II knives will tell you the same thing.

In short, I firmly believe that this package was created with the intent to deceive a buyer into paying far more than the package is actually worth. I sincerely hope that you paid no more than $100 for this knife/sheath combination (and even THAT is generous). I'm afraid, though, that you may have paid a good bit more.

With regards and regrets,

-- Nighteyes

Edited by Daniel Nighteyes on 02-14-12 06:46.58. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Daniel Nighteyes
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-14-12 07:00.44 - Post#2442979    

In response to Daniel Nighteyes

CORRECTION -- actually, the sheath carried the marking "MFS-214" which, I assume, was supposed to indicate "Marine Fighter Squadron 214".

Simply, that's not how Naval/Marine fighter squadrons were designated during WWII. To me, this is yet a further confirmation that the package was intended to fool an inexperienced potential buyer into paying more than the package is worth.

Edited by Daniel Nighteyes on 02-14-12 07:04.15. Reason for edit: No reason given.

sac troop
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    02-14-12 08:36.22 - Post#2443009    

Ka Bar made the Mk 2 combat knife along with several other manufacturers during WW2. After the war Ka Bar didn’t make this knife again until about 1975 as a commemorative.
    I have one of those knives and unfortunately your’s looks a lot like mine.

Your knife has what is called a (thick pommel). On a WW2 Ka Bar with a thick pommel the tang will be “peened” down on to the pommel to hold the handle together.

All the post WW2 Ka Bar Mk2 knives I’ve seen have been assembled with what is called a “blind pin”. A hole is drilled into the side of the pommel and into the tang. But it doesn’t go through the other side of the pommel. When the pin is driven into the pommel you won’t see it protrude thru the other side of the pommel.

Like this:

On the WW2 Ka Bar’s that were assembled with a tang pin The pommel would be thinner than the one in the pictures and you could see the end of the pin on both sides of the pommel (thru pin). As opposed to a (blind pin).

sac troop
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    02-14-12 08:54.58 - Post#2443014    

In response to sac troop

I need to add an addendum to my previous post.
    On WW2 Ka Bars there are two ways that the (thick pommels) were attached to these knives.
    If the tang of the blade was rectangular as in the picture of your knife the tang would be peened as I previously posted.
    There are other WW2 Ka Bar knives with the thick pommel that were threaded and the pommel was actually screwed onto the pommel. These would be examples of some of the earliest WW2 Ka Bars.

signchaser
    02-14-12 09:11.56 - Post#2443016    

In response to sac troop

I paid 100 for it...I will take it back to her and get my money back! Thanks for all the help!!!

Page 1 of 9 1234>» Last
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.418 seconds.   Total Queries: 166   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 08:49.38