"Two roads diverged in a wood,
and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
"
~ Robert Frost
240 Online Now
20 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 220 guests are online now.
    Username Post: Question about Indian Head Knives        (Topic#31133)
    cgc
    05-29-00 05:59.00 - Post#31133    

I recently acquired a three blade congress (my description) folder that is from the Indian Head company. This is the first time I have ever seen this company and have not been able to find it listed.

Beautiful knife; 3 3/4" closed; black possibly Delrin scales; small circular inlay on front scale of a Indian with war bonnet and 1902 under the Indian; nickle silver bolsters; brass liners; main blade is some kind of stainless clip point with Indian Head Hand made in Germany etched on the blade and Crisner - two Indian heads - Indianhead stamped on the base, the opposite side is stamped Solingen Germany; small wharncliffe style blade and small spey blade, both stamped with 2 Indian Heads with Indianhead stamped on the base of the blade and no markings on the opposite side.

Can you give me any info on this knife and the brand?

Thanks.

c

------------------
    Chuck C.
    AKTI #000120

bernard_levine
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-29-00 07:03.00 - Post#31134    

In response to cgc

Clarence Risner of Tennessee, one-time NKCA board member, was one of several midwestern and southeastern knife collectors and dealers who had private brand knives made for them by Friedrich Olbertz of Solingen. Risner's brand was INDIAN HEAD 1902, and he sold these knives in the 1970s.

Other such brands you may run into include:
    FIGHTN' ROOSTER (Frank Buster of Lebanon TN);
    BULLDOG BRAND (Charlie Dorton of Kingsport TN, bought by Jim Parker in 1992);
    "MARBLE'S" (made for Jim Parker c1992);
    STIDHAM'S KNIVES, BELPRE OHIO (Rhett Stidham, who now lives in Florida);
    R. J. RICHTER (I don't know where Richter lived, but he was an American importer who sold fantasy Nazi pen knives made for him by Olbertz in the 1960s);
    HARDIN WHOLESALE (George Smith of Kenova WV).

There were others that I can't think of right now. Please feel free to add to or correct this list

Another was SWANNER CUTLERY Co (Stan Swanner, Fairfield OH).

BRL...

------------------
    http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/links.htm

[This message has been edited by bernard_levine (edited May 29, 2000).]

My Knife related links page

cgc
    05-29-00 12:55.00 - Post#31135    

In response to bernard_levine

Bernard,
    I appreciate the quick reply and info. Do you think there is any collectability in this particular knife? I know that can be a loaded question some time, but I have not intention in holding you to it , just want to pick your brain.

Again, thanks.

c

------------------
    Chuck C.
    AKTI #000120

Chuck C.
    AKTI #000120

bernard_levine
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-29-00 15:21.00 - Post#31136    

In response to cgc

At the risk of rererepeating myself, the best way to find out if anybody is collecting a brand is to search completed sales on eBay.

BRL...

------------------

RGR
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-31-00 05:47.00 - Post#31137    

In response to bernard_levine

Friends, I have been purchasing the IH knives
    as of late to sell for a using knife. I assumed they were recent production... maybe not. What ever the case they are a fine looking knife, polished springs etc. Quality traditional patterns are far and few between.
    Some of the Bulldogs come through looking like they came from Stevie Wonders knife shop,
    but so far the IH has been pretty consistent good quality. Regards, Ron

THEAVENGER
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    05-31-00 11:36.00 - Post#31138    

In response to RGR

RGR:
    At the risk of starting an argument, IH and Bulldog are made by the same company. The only differences are the tang stamp and shield. German Eye is also the same thing. Compare all three side by side. They are exactly the same. I sold Bulldog for several years and for the money it is a darn good traditional knife. Far better than anything coming out of Bradford.

RGR
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-31-00 17:10.00 - Post#31139    

In response to THEAVENGER

Avenger.. so you want to argue huh? No... just kidding
    I kind of suspected that a lot of German brands came from the same shop... they are just too similar.
    I didnt really mean to beat up on Bulldog either. I bought 9 of the small two blade pen patterns from Parkers last spring and had to send 3 back because of loose blades.
    Parker made it right of course but a knife returned still costs the postage and time. I think quality control is the number one problem from ANY manufacturer these days( and it probably always was)
    To get back on track a bit for a knife to be collectible folks have to have heard of the brand. No one in these parts has ever heard of IH except one old collector I know, and he was imported from TN.
    Take care my friends, Ron

THEAVENGER
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    06-01-00 03:35.00 - Post#31140    

In response to RGR

RGR:
    Take a trip to Parker Show in Tennessee if you get the chance. It is next week. If you are used to the tactical type of knives, it is a real shock. Case is king in the southeast. Most of the people I talked to (I was set up) didn't know what a thumb stud was. The is a very traditional market as far as knives are concerned. That is the place to buy or sell IH or other brands like it.
    Jim Parker sets up quite a spread. You can actually handle the knives you want to buy. If you are into traditional, it is Mecca. You can get info at 800 247 0599 ask for Jim or Buzz.

RGR
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-01-00 14:49.00 - Post#31141    

In response to THEAVENGER

Avenger, Wish I had the resources to go! I was raised in the very s.w. corner of MO. so I am familiar with that part of the country through various travels as a young adult. Nice country... just to danged crowded after getting used to the high desert of AZ and NV where I have been since 85 after leaving big MO around 76. I have been getting Russells catalog since the early 70s but was not familair with Parkers till just recently. The bad part about Northern Nv is serious knife collectors are far and few.
    They only have a nice gunshow in Reno about every other month. some nice shows over Cali way over course but about 4 to 5 hours away and I have to be paid to enter Cal.! Vegas is 8 hours and I got burned so bad at that Great Western show last month it will snow there in July before I go back!( of copurse I have seen snow here in June, so I better watch my words)
    I am about the only guy that carries more than one or two traditional knives at the shows... every one sells tacs as you suspected. And with all the new Fed gun restrictions a new knife table at every show!
    But I invariabley sell 4 or 5 at every show. Maybe some day I will figure what the public actually desires, but will always have some nice traditional patterns on the table. Regards, Ron

bernard_levine
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-02-00 07:20.00 - Post#31142    

In response to RGR

I just got my copy of the May 2000 NKCA Gazette. On the back page Clarence Risner has an ad. He now sells Schlieper Eye brand knives, and he now lives in Spring Valley Ohio. Email me if you want his phone #.

BRL...

------------------

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.296 seconds.   Total Queries: 166   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 15:56.26