thumb_1407960593-1.JPG
thumb_1407750066-Crown_Stag_Skinner__1711_x_1140_.jpg
thumb_1407672353-1.JPG_big.jpg
thumb_1407641097-DSC_0004_1.JPG
thumb_1407270483-1.JPG
thumb_1407160770-20140802_103713-2.jpg
thumb_1406927116-10584106_907845969229455_2121226519465794003_n.jpg
Current Quote
""Prefer loss to the wealth of dishonest gain, the former vexes you for a time, the latter will bring you lasting remorse."
~ Chilo"
~ Chilo
227 Online Now
24 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 203 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 2 All12
    Username Post: M4 Millie- wow        (Topic#888160)
    ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-06-10 10:36.29 - Post#2236194    

Hi guys, sorry, this is my first pass around, and I posted in the general forum for the exposure. Should I keep it limited to here, or do the reviews go out there?

I Was just wondering what the "real" rules y'all play by are. Two weeks goes by like zip to me. Is that cool? I use my knives fairly gently, so with steels like this, I normally use 13* true.If I have any issues, I'll heavy microbevel a little flatter angle.

All comments and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch, -yt
    Trust me, for I like big butts and I cannot lie.

frankk
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-06-10 12:26.55 - Post#2236223    

In response to ytreich

I'm not too sure on the real rules, but where ever you post, you are welcome to post here as well or to post a link.

There is a review section if you would like to post your review there as well.

I am looking forward to your review!

Frank

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-06-10 13:15.46 - Post#2236248    

In response to frankk

Do you mean I can/should? post both places, then when I am done I write a review for the "Review" section? That's fine with me if that's what you would like.

Kinda like doing a day to day spot here and copied to the "General" forum, is that correct? Sorry, I heard that was not generally accepted, but looks like you'd be the guy to ask, so just let me know.

Best Regards,
    -yt

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-06-10 15:33.49 - Post#2236298    

In response to ytreich

Hey antonio, et. al.: I GOT THE KNIFE!!!

It came yesterday afternoon, and I'll give a little taste;

F&F is very good, with no issues that I can see. About 3/4 of the blade is pretty sharp. It will shave, but that's about it. From the tip back about 1/4 of the way, It didn't want to shave very badly at all. I couldn't care less about this, because factory edges never last long with me.

It's big, and it's bad! I like it immensely. At first, the size of the handle is a little off-putting. It has at least 3/8" more handle than blade in the closed position, but I'm over it. It feels good in the hand, and basically has two different hand positions that are both very comfortable and secure.

I like the "two faced" look, and there is steel reinforcing the G-10 side back to the second screw, and there is a spacer between the second and third screws. It feels way plenty stiff and solid. The tip is centered as it came.

I won't get time for pictures for a couple days, but I'll be testing the hell out of it, don't worry. I'll keep you apprised.

frankk
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-06-10 16:08.00 - Post#2236308    

In response to ytreich

If you like, you could post the review there and a link here when you post it.

At first I didn't like the long handle on the Milie, but after a while I started to like it, the long handle really doesn't make it harder to carry.

Edited by frankk on 11-06-10 16:13.08. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-07-10 04:26.42 - Post#2236452    

In response to frankk

First update- Had to do something about the edge, so I put it to the belts after checking the factory bevel. The sharpness (or lack thereof) coincided with angles. The first 3/4 was ground very close to 20*/side. The tip with the last 1/4 of blade was closer to 25*. Yuck.

I took it down to 14-15*. This steel almost requires new belts to get anywhere. It is hard and tough to grind. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it, and didn't fully realize that I wasn't getting all the previous belt's scratches out until I got down to the 20u belt, and by then, I figured I would just finish it to see what would happen. I took it down only to the 1u diamond belt.

Whoa! It got very sharp!! No problem tree topping or pushcutting phone book paper. Now that's more like it.

I took some pictures, and hope to have time to post them tonight.

I don't really know what the proper procedure is here, but this is a pass around knife, so I'm posting day to day stuff here, then I'll combine the whole experience for the "knife review" forum. I hope that's ok.

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-08-10 06:28.35 - Post#2236812    

In response to ytreich

I did get to use the Millie for food prep work last night, and of course it performed flawlessly. No patina of any kind came from working with food. I didn't use it on anything very acidic though. Onions and other vegetables did nothing, and I didn't clean it until I was done- maybe half an hour. Surprisingly un-stainable for M4. I'm not really going to try to force a patina or anything, but I'm a bit surprised this blade comes uncoated.

Any queries or suggestions more than welcome!

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-08-10 10:44.30 - Post#2236889    

In response to ytreich

I don't know, and I've never heard, but the tip down positioning of the Millie almost makes you pinch the Spydey hole and flick the handle down to open the knife.

I just think it's kind of novel and cool. It actually works very well this way.

I'm liking this knife quite a bit. I have been wiring up my new belt grinder with the VFD, which has called for a good bit of wire stripping. If you are used to S30V, and being able to spot each place where the blade touched copper by the little ding in the blade, you need Spyderco M4. It just doesn't! That is pretty damn cool in my book.

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-09-10 16:15.42 - Post#2237405    

In response to ytreich

A few pics of the Brute!

DallasSTB
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    11-10-10 04:36.25 - Post#2237595    

In response to ytreich

Great pictures, and I'm glad I found the info on the passaround before it filled up. Thanks for sharing - and let me know if you ever think about selling that Sebe

Page 1 of 2 All12
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.309 seconds.   Total Queries: 165   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 11:47.23