Recent Pictures
thumb_1411354680-buck110meteorite.jpg
thumb_1411343012-DSC_0283__640x209_.jpg
thumb_1411061614-1.JPG
thumb_1410635072-MVP_61bsmallerfilesize.jpg
thumb_1409428191-DSC_0019kf.jpg
thumb_1409241408-8.JPG
Current Quote
"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar."
~
210 Online Now
20 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 190 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 2 All12
    Username Post: Kershaw "premium steel" folders        (Topic#922359)
    Dkb45
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-30-12 06:18.19 - Post#2466608    

I have seen a handful of more premium steel Kershaw folders, and after I secure the funds for the Speedform 2, I will have 2. I picked up the Gents lockback a little while bqck, and it pretty much hooked me. Does Kershaw have any current folders with a steel like VG-10 carrying a street price of around or under $70? I have tried looking, but it seems like these knives are popularized by magazines and word of mouth, and I don't get out, and can't really afford magazines.

Rosh
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    04-30-12 22:59.17 - Post#2466829    

In response to Dkb45

I'd hit up Knifeworks and check out the Junk Yard Dog II. The Zing is OK and very light. If $70 is your limit, I'd check out the Rake which is much better. I have a few Kershaws, mostly because they're cheap and (the models I have) are made in the US. Knifeworks has a great discount on Benchmade knives and I'd check out the Griptilians if $70 is your limit. I think the Axis lock is MUCH better than the liner locks on the Kershaws.

Dkb45
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-02-12 13:27.45 - Post#2467209    

In response to Rosh

I have been looking at the Rake, because it is drilled for lefty carry (at least from what I saw), but I have heard very mixed responses for D2. Most people swear by it, but that is in fixed blades, and a lot of people have said that it is very difficult to sharpen (omitting CPM-D2, which is a very different steel) and that it doesn't take an edge like a high end stainless or heavily alloyed carbon.

As for the Benchmades, I refuse to buy from the company. I have handled a few of their knives and they all felt very cheap, and what you get for the price seems pretty weak.

Do not let this turn into an argument over Benchmade. That was not my intention, and most people don't appreciate such an argument.

Dkb45
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-02-12 13:55.36 - Post#2467219    

In response to Dkb45

I should also note that I do plan on buying a BM just to get an axis lock. Just waiting until I can find one for the right price on the secondhand market.

Frose
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-03-12 23:41.33 - Post#2467527    

In response to Dkb45

I have heard similar arguments about D2.

I feel that if you are proficient at sharpening it should be much of a problem.

If you don't like BM then thats absolutely ok and your opinion is just as valid as anyones. Myself, I really do like them.... think they are some of the best around.

If you really like that locking mechanism there are other knife companies that use a very similar device.

Check out the manix knives by spyderco
    Check out my new forum!
    Canyon Knives Forum

New website!
    www.brianefrosknives.com

Rosh
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    05-05-12 19:12.09 - Post#2468059    

In response to Frose

No problems with disliking Benchmade. I really don't like right/wrong arguments! It took me quite a while to come back around to Benchmades because the knife I had a long time ago was only OK. When I came back though...good times! The plastic on the outside of the Griptilians threw me off. It sits on top of metal though. They have really solid pivots and the Axis, as you mentioned, is really good stuff!

D2 on a folder isn't overkill, in my opinion. In fact, blades to 5 inches, it seems, is right up D2's alley. I've held the rake with the D2 in it and liked it a lot. Saying that, I have not sharpened it. Like previously said, if you can sharpen, it shouldn't be a problem. I think the other steel that Kershaw uses is 14C28. I have some rust spots on a Kershaw I have with that steel. If I remember correctly, the use 12C26 and some other Swedish steel that's good stuff.

I tend to stray away from the Kershaws (beyond what I already bought) because of the lock. They are good but...still liner locks. I was really spoiled by using different Emerson knives but was woken up by a Zero Tolerance lock that was total poo. I can validate my Kershaw knives having only "OK" locks because I don't use them as hard as my Emersons but...what if you have to one day?...

Listen, bottom line EDC, Kershaw (made in USA) is good stuff. The Rake is nice. The Zing is good if you're looking for a super lightweight easy-use blade. The Junkyard dog feels a little out of place in my hand but is still pretty nice.

Take care

Dkb45
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-06-12 17:12.28 - Post#2468298    

In response to Rosh

I had a Zing for a while, but I wound up returning it because I couldn't fit the clip onto my pocket (this was before I knew that a pocket clip could be adjusted... not kidding). I plan on buying another Zing soon enough.

As for the JYD, I like the look of it, but the thing that is stopping me from buying it is the lack of a lefty clip. From what I saw the Rake has a lefty clip, which I like. I am planning on buying a Rake in the future.

I am still hoping for somebody to chime in with a Kershaw with a premium steel like I am looking for, like my Gents Lockback (model 1993-2) or the "tactical folder" I saw with VG-10 steel. I know they were both limited run items, but I know companies constantly do limited run products.

elvis
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-06-12 23:58.45 - Post#2468334    

In response to Dkb45

Kershaw seems to also like using Sandvik 14C28N which I have had excellent results with. A quick Google (or any other) search for it will yield a lot of useful information.
    Bob

I know you think you understand what I thought I said, but I'm not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Stainz
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-07-12 03:24.03 - Post#2468378    

In response to elvis

You can find the Kershaw made in the USA Ken Onion series, like the Scallion, Leek, and Blur, in their usual 14C28N or even upgrades like S30V, ranging from $35 - $$84 from the likes of many of the KF sponsors and even local stores - including WallyWorld. The 1993-2 is a nice lite duty knife - made in Japan - but hardly as stout as a Blur or JYDII with that composite blade - it's a winner. The best deal, gone now, was the JYDII in Ti & Super Gold 2 - once available as a factory second at $79! You want a better Kershaw? The recent 'Tilt', with it's Vannax75 steel and CF/Ti handle. You could have a handful of S30V Blurs for what it cost.

Of course, their top line is the 'Zero Tolerance' line - starting, at great prices, around twice your limit and going up. Great fit/function - excellent blade steels - but they are a bit dear.

The Kershaw Leek and Blur are hard acts to follow, as to quality/utility/value.

Stainz

Dkb45
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-07-12 08:56.29 - Post#2468485    

In response to Stainz

I love the Leek. If it were to have a lefty clip, I would consider it nearly the perfect EDC. As for the Blur, though, I cannot stand the knife. The thumb stud tears my thumb up, and the handles hurt to hold. Definitely not a favorite design.

The Tilt is cool, but that thing is WAY too expensive.

I also just got my Speedform II, and got my 1993-2 and Leek back today, and I must say that Kershaw has surely kept a customer. All of them arrived razor sharp, and with a microbevel and some stropping, they are now up there with my sharpest knives. Kershaw does their VG-10 and Elmax very well.

Page 1 of 2 All12
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.31 seconds.   Total Queries: 174   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 15:50.31