This is a series of photos I shot as background info for my illustrators . The actual photos in the book will be very different (and won't involve me triggering the camera remotely and trying to get my hands into position before the timer goes off
This covers only the most basic skills, but almost all vegetable cuts are based on the same sequence:
* Square off the sides of the veg. or at least cut one flat surface.
* Cut planks/panels
* Stack the planks and cut logs/sticks
* Cut across the logs to produce cubes
* Large dice is 3/4" x 3/4" x 3/4".
* Medium dice is 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/2" The logs (1/2" x 1/2" x 2") are your basic steak fry cut.
* Small dice is 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/4" and is cut from logs called battonet (1/4" x 1/4" x 2)
* Brunoise (broon wahz) is 1/8" x 1/8" x 1/8" and is cut from logs called Julienne (1/8" x 1/8" x 2)
Top to bottom:
* Pinch grip front
* Pinch grip back
* The Claw (guide hand)
* Get Square
* Walk the Plank
* Log In
* Roll the dice