thumb_1412800724-1.JPG
thumb_1412652956-24262_1251638018854_7628960_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1412562018-MVP_65b.jpg
thumb_1412353660-2.JPG
thumb_1411961722-374934_2397988276894_1877393445_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1411889958-Summers_131026_-_Copy__617x800_.jpg
thumb_1411695030-100_5450.JPG
Current Quote
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..." -Richard Henry Lee, 1788, Member of the First U.S. Senate.
"
~ Richard Henry Lee
151 Online Now
2 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 149 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 3 All123
    Username Post: Sardines        (Topic#876709)
    Robert C
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-15-10 11:50.44 - Post#2111414    

Sadly the last sardine canning factory in the USA is closing !While foreign competition is there American diets are changing .I guess that means less real food and more junk food.
    Do you eat sardines and if so how ?

willspear
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-15-10 12:16.00 - Post#2111430    

In response to Robert C

mustard or hotsauce tinned ones straight up or with crackers

that cannery is close to where I live and they provide probably 90% of the bait for eastern maines lobstermen. Stinson's is the last of the us canneries for sardines and it will be shuttered here right off all the employees have been desperately seeking other jobs but the economy in the surrounding area is pretty horrid.

Bumblebee food is still running sardine packing in canada with multi fish packing plants stinson's is sardines only so the economic viability of the plant is pretty poor in todays marketplace.

My father eats 2-3 cans of sardines a day and when I was fishing we used to get all the mispacked and dented tins we could ever want for free from there. used to eat them with saltines while out hauling traps.

nothing quite like eating a tin of sardines in the hot sun while going up the bay with cold beer and crackers and cigarette while covered in rotten herring and salt.

nikoz
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-15-10 17:06.53 - Post#2111567    

In response to willspear

Bummer on the plant closing! About the only brand we see in Canada is Brunswick Sardines: I dunno who packs em; for all I know, they may be packed in China tho they claim to be Cdn.
    I useta buy em packed in olive oil, but now the oil is soya, much cheaper. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have a tin for tomorrow's (Friday) lunch with sliced onions & toast.
    Nick

Questions, questions, always questions.

JBroida
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-16-10 17:09.39 - Post#2112194    

In response to nikoz

when i have the $$$ i get them from spain or italy... that being said, fresh sardines are highly under-appreciated. A little olive oil, salt and pepper and about 10 seconds on a super hot grill is all you need. Maybe a splash of lemon if you feel like it, but when the fish is super fresh, its almost a shame.
    Japanese Knife Imports
    High-end, hand-crafted Japanese kitchen knives
    JKI Blog
    On Facebook

scubadoo97
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    04-18-10 02:54.41 - Post#2112858    

In response to nikoz

Pretty sure Brunswick and Bumble Bee are related. I've been eating a lot of sardines. I really like King Oscar brand. The fish are smaller and have a milder taste but they are more than twice the price of Brunswick. After watching a Good Eats episode where Alton explains how he lost so my weight I've been trying his sardines on mashed avocado. It's a wonderful combination.

nikoz
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-19-10 16:41.16 - Post#2113937    

In response to JBroida

• JBroida Said:
    when i have the $$$ i get them from spain or italy... that being said, fresh sardines are highly under-appreciated. A little olive oil, salt and pepper and about 10 seconds on a super hot grill is all you need. Maybe a splash of lemon if you feel like it, but when the fish is super fresh, its almost a shame.

Hmm, they sometimes have fresh sardines at the Chinese supermarket where I go so I'll give em a try. I presume you et em by pulling the flesh from the back bone like a smelt?
    Nick

nikoz
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-19-10 16:55.02 - Post#2113944    

In response to scubadoo97

I remember there was a premium brand that sold smaller fish & were classified as Millionaire (small) & Billionaire (smaller yet). I haven't seen em on store shelves forever now.

Ah, I just Googled before adding this post; they are still Cdn brands that import Mediterranean sardines. Trouble is, like I said, I dunno which stores carry em, but I'll see if I can find em; they were my favorites.
    Nick

JBroida
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-19-10 18:14.41 - Post#2113961    

In response to nikoz

• nikoz Said:
    • JBroida Said:

Hmm, they sometimes have fresh sardines at the Chinese supermarket where I go so I'll give em a try. I presume you et em by pulling the flesh from the back bone like a smelt?

you could fillet them if you really felt like it. Its just a few seconds of work. But either way works. Just pull meat away from bone and enjoy. They are damn tasty.
    Japanese Knife Imports
    High-end, hand-crafted Japanese kitchen knives
    JKI Blog
    On Facebook

willspear
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-20-10 02:05.23 - Post#2114098    

In response to JBroida

tinned and fresh are 2 different things and both have merit

but just simply tossing some sardines in the pan with a little oil maybe a tiny bit of garlic and a squeeze of lemon is a glorious thing. Keep it simple and they sing probably one of the best things in the world over complicating them defeats the purpose.

sudsy9977
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-20-10 06:16.31 - Post#2114237    

In response to JBroida

i saw some HUGE sardines at the chinese market today...wish i lived close to it....i''d be eatin fish everyday...the prices r insane....i was tempted but was too busy to stay and shop....i have never seen such cheap prices on fish....and such a variety too.......

so r those sardines a different variety than the little tiny ones in the can...these were like 4- 5 inches longand prettty fat....ryan
    Ryan The Robotic Pig

www.japaneseknifesharpening.com

• jaybett Said:
    this post couldn't be more retarded, even if you put a helmet on it.

Jay

Page 1 of 3 All123
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.264 seconds.   Total Queries: 168   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 19:21.13