Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Print Topic

Username Post: Condor Bushlore first impressions
tcmault

01-26-12 16:21.51 - Post#2436101    

I just got both the Micarta and Wood today. The first thing I noticed was the micarta seemed to have a much better finish. The wood was not rough, but the rivets and lanyard holes were not that good at all. Some protrusion on the back rivet and the lanyard tube had obvious gaps. Plus, there was a knot/blemish in the wood next to one of the rivets. The tang was not as flush with the wood as it was on the Micarta. The Micarta was perfectly flush and all rivets very flush. There were not gaps between the scales and tang on either model.

Now interesting enough the wood blade was noticeable longer than the micarta version. Neither blade is very sharp. Not a big deal really. If I wasn't going to keep the convex it would take just seconds on something like a sharpmaker. These are my first convex and will use them to practice.

Also, the micarta handle is thicker than the wood and very noticeable when going in and out of the sheath. However, it feels much nicer in the hand. The weight difference is also very noticeable. Overall I am very glad I got the micarta version. The extra weight is nice and the finish is much better.

Now the questions becomes do I like the Micarta in the black sheath or the brown sheath more.

knifetinkerer
Master Member KnifeNut!

knifetinkerer
01-29-12 06:29.53 - Post#2437104    

Looks like they've improved this product since I got mine.
tstetz
The Puukko Prophet

tstetz
01-29-12 09:24.17 - Post#2437177    

Condor has definitely steadily improved their QC. I also found that the Micarta ones do seem to have better fit and finish than the wood ones too. Pretty nice in fact.
There are some who call me... Tim.

www.woodsmonkey.com

tcmault

05-22-12 14:50.08 - Post#2472077    

Has anyone done any fun mods to their Bushlores? Custom Sheath? Custom Scales? Jibbing on the spine?....etc.
wescobts
Master Member KnifeNut!

wescobts
05-26-12 23:18.23 - Post#2473064    

I believe i saw Mike Stewart from BRKT clean one up ,a little reshaping of the scales and if i'm not mistaken, brought the plunge line much closer to the hand, and of course got it scary sharp.
tstetz
The Puukko Prophet

tstetz
05-27-12 01:28.48 - Post#2473082    

I had BHK redo an early one for me too. Similar treatment it sounds like plus I had Micarta scales put on.

Although newer ones can be had with micarta now and do have deeper plungelines. You can pretty much see that in the pics above.

I dunno, I think for the money the way they come now is decent. Honestly, by the time you have someone work one over with the money invested you could have gotten something else. That isn't a knock on them, just economics. I think one of the big selling points is price. They sit between a Mora on the low end and the customs on the $100 plus end and that's a sweet spot in the market that doesn't have a lot of competition right now.

Now, as a project for you to tinker with at home yourself, that's a whole other story! You can definitely tweak the edge and customize the handle (particularly the wood one) to suit you best. Condor's are a lot of fun for that.

www.woodsmonkey.com

wescobts
Master Member KnifeNut!

wescobts
05-28-12 01:27.35 - Post#2473308    

tstets, i could not agree more.
knifetinkerer
Master Member KnifeNut!

knifetinkerer
05-29-12 05:14.49 - Post#2473571    

• tstetz Said:
They sit between a Mora on the low end and the customs on the $100 plus end and that's a sweet spot in the market that doesn't have a lot of competition right now.

How about a Helle?

Or a Marttiini in carbon or Carbinox?

Iisaaki?

I have one of these Bushlores and find it very clunky for woodwork. I think it's a good rough-and-tough car-trunk knife for possible hard and dirty abuse, but for actual bushcraft (insofar as I understand the term), I think real Scandis run rings around it.

(Not that I think you would disagree!)
tstetz
The Puukko Prophet

tstetz
05-29-12 05:52.54 - Post#2473581    

You're hard pressed to find a Helle in the $35-$50 range these days (Condor price range). Although there are certainly a lot of options in the $70-$100 range. Not totally sure on the others, but I get the point. All just a matter of what style you want (full tang Western bushcraft vs stick tang traditional Scandi etc. ). I am certainly partial to traditional Scandis too!

www.woodsmonkey.com

knifetinkerer
Master Member KnifeNut!

knifetinkerer
05-30-12 00:54.02 - Post#2473771    

I didn't realize how much Helles had gone up in price. Still, the Speider is a nice deal for $50.

The Marttiini Lynx Lumberjack is a $30-$35 puukko in carbon steel.

I guess if someone told me they favored the Bushlore over a traditional Scandi because of the full tang, I would have to ask what sort of tasks they had in mind for their bushcraft knife.

I think the Bushlore is good for splitting engine blocks and stuff like that.
tstetz
The Puukko Prophet

tstetz
05-30-12 02:35.01 - Post#2473788    

Great thing is that we have a thriving knife market right now with a ton of choices. Whatever you want, for whatever reason, there's a great chance someone is doing it in your price range!

www.woodsmonkey.com

Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.081 seconds.   Total Queries: 65   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 10:53.12