Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Print Topic

Username Post: Can you educate me?
Mr. K

Mr. K
11-18-11 21:06.59 - Post#2411567    

Bought this knife last summer from a private seller. I would like to learn more about it. Is it rare? Plain Jane run of the mill? Any known issues with the knife model?

Is it worth anything? I do not wish to sell it, but am just trying to find out more about the knife. I see the OTF microtech knives all over the board for prices so am not sure if this is a base model or what?

I am very new to knives so please excuse mu ignorance.

Mark

Chief
Master Member KnifeNut!

Chief
11-19-11 02:27.55 - Post#2411607    

Production Ultratech made back when Microtech was in Vero Beach FL. VB era MTs are generally thought as being better quality than later produced models and are a little more sought after. No real issues with those models. Being a tanto instead of the normal clip, makes it a little more rare, but MT has made thousands of UTs and still makes them occasionally today. In my opinion that knife is valued in the $225 - $250 range, maybe a little more if mint with the box and papers.
v/r
John
USAF 1975 - 2000

http://www.johnferguson.net

Mr. K

Mr. K
11-19-11 12:42.52 - Post#2411769    

Thanks, for the info. Cool little knife that I will enjoy. It did come with a box but not very fancy.

Just nice to know a little background.
Stone_Knife
Master Member KnifeNut!

Stone_Knife
01-28-12 12:32.03 - Post#2436823    

That era of Ultratech is one of the best knives MT has made (though I am not a fan of the Tanto style myself).

Treat 'er well and use it daily, and 5 years from now it'll probably still be working faithfully for you.

True, it's not 'rare' in the traditional sense such as damascus steel or tritium button or Brend HP finish, it's for certain that they will not make any more Vero Beach MT's.

How do you out a price on that? :-) I'd not sell it for less than $300 myself.
gte217e
Journeyman KnifeNut!

02-19-12 17:04.14 - Post#2444853    

That is a beautiful knife and if you ever decide to sell it, I want it.

The internals of that knife including the pocket clip and button were made of titanium.
The button is low profile but is still easier to operate as compared with newer production.

I have one, SN#156 (or 153, I forgot) which is a plain single edge that I use everyday. The blade is scratched up and there is tape all over it. But that thing still works well.

The only negative is that the pocket clip can come loose and scratch the handle as it moves side to side.

Enjoy the knife and again, if you decide to sell it, I expect an email.

Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.13 seconds.   Total Queries: 34   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 07:36.42