Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Print Topic

Username Post: Penne alla vodka
gabrielarelch

10-31-10 09:21.40 - Post#2233894    

Penne alla vodka

SOURCE: Nigella Lawson’s Feast

PREPARATION TIME: less than 5 min

COOKING TIME: 30 – 35 min

CUISINE: Modern Italian

Ingredients

* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 tbsp garlic-infused oil (I just used olive oil and 2 cloves of garlic)
* Salt
* 1 can chopped tomatoes
* 1 tbsp double cream
* penne rigate or other short, preferably ridged, pasta
* 65 ml vodka
* 2 tbsp unsalted butter
* Parmesan for grating over at the table (I used cheddar)

Method

1. If you are cooking this just before you eat, put the water on to boil before you start the sauce. You will need a big pan, enough to take the pasta and its sauce later.

2. Finely chop the onion, either by hand or in a processor. In a large pan, heat the garlic oil and add the finely chopped onion and a good sprinkling of salt. Cook the onion fairly gently for about 15 minutes without letting it catch and burn, which just means giving it a stir every now and again. It should be very soft and just beginning to caramelize.

3. Tip in the can of chopped tomatoes and continue cooking over a gentle heat, simmering for another 15-20 minutes. If you’re cooking this in advance, stop here.

4. Reheat the almost finished tomatoes (or just continue as you were if you’re making this recipe in one go), stir in the double cream and take the pan off the heat. When the water for the pasta comes to the boil add a good measure of salt and tip in the penne. Set a timer for 3-4 minutes less than the packet instructions for cooking it, as you want to make sure it’s cooked al dente and will need to start tasting early.

5. Drain the cooked pasta, tip it back in the pan and pour over the vodka, add the butter and some more salt. Turn the penne in the vodka and melting butter and then tip it into the tomato sauce unless it is easier to pour the tomato sauce over the pasta: it depends on the sizes of the pans you are using.

6. Toss the pasta in the sauce until it is evenly coated and turn out into a large, warmed bowl. Put it on the table along with a block of parmesan cheese and a grater.

oivind_dahle
Master Member KnifeNut!

oivind_dahle
10-31-10 23:56.52 - Post#2234070    

Thanks!

Gonna make it on wedensday!
cnochef
Journeyman KnifeNut!

11-01-10 00:21.22 - Post#2234076    

Bit of a bland recipe, 1/2 to 1 tsp of dried chile flakes sauteed with the onions would improve it greatly as would some fresh herbs at the end.
chefjbs
Journeyman KnifeNut!

11-02-10 05:38.57 - Post#2234622    

how about a little procuitto and basil.

and Parm not cheddar... it is penne ala vodka, not mac and cheese
ThEoRy
Master Member KnifeNut!

ThEoRy
11-03-10 18:11.22 - Post#2235321    

Fresh cracked pepper?
apicius9
Master Member KnifeNut!

apicius9
11-04-10 12:34.43 - Post#2235565    

I love seeing interesting new recipes here, but I have to admit that I never got the vodka sauce concept. The only place for vodka that I see as justified in cooking is me sipping it from a block if ice or from a glass with three olives while I am stirring the tomato sauce...

Stefan
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation." Mark Twain

chefjbs
Journeyman KnifeNut!

11-05-10 09:57.39 - Post#2235827    

very true. But i do like to macerate my berries in vodka with some raw sugar and serve it as a precursor to dessert.
WildBoar
Journeyman KnifeNut!

WildBoar
11-11-10 09:10.40 - Post#2238121    

• apicius9 Said:
I love seeing interesting new recipes here, but I have to admit that I never got the vodka sauce concept. The only place for vodka that I see as justified in cooking is me sipping it from a block if ice or from a glass with three olives while I am stirring the tomato sauce...

Stefan

The flavor compounds in the tomatoes are alcohol-soluble. So it's all about extracting additional tomato flavor.

I agree the recipe is a bit bland, and could use a little heat and herbs.
------------------------- --------
David
Home Cook
BoardSMITH
Rodrigue Knives

prescben
Journeyman KnifeNut!

12-06-10 09:49.12 - Post#2248115    

• WildBoar Said:

+3

I don't want to sound curmudgeonly, but I tend to find most of the recipes in the mass-market oriented cookbooks to be really disappointing. Then again, they all sell like hot cakes, so what the heck do I know? Call me crazy, but I want a book that will give me ideas and tools to use, not fast, but mediocre recipes.
dwfender

12-14-11 08:06.52 - Post#2419966    

• prescben Said:
  • WildBoar Said:

+3

I don't want to sound curmudgeonly, but I tend to find most of the recipes in the mass-market oriented cookbooks to be really disappointing. Then again, they all sell like hot cakes, so what the heck do I know? Call me crazy, but I want a book that will give me ideas and tools to use, not fast, but mediocre recipes.

Did you find any cookbooks that suited your needs?

ricardo0208
Journeyman KnifeNut!

12-16-11 21:10.38 - Post#2420754    

Having worked for a good handful of "celebrity chefs" who've all published cookbooks, none of those recipes reflect what we actually do in the restaurant. The only cookbooks I buy are for basic reference, or for the pictures for inspirational ideas. Unless they are unbiased educational books, such as most things by harold mcgee, herve this, the under pressure book from T.K.

Even the charcuterie book by michael ruhlman i only use as a base for reference, not verbatim execution. Everyones taste and rhyme/reason for a recipe meets their specific needs, and I usually find that those recipes don't fit my needs. In regards to most celebrity chefs recipes, they will never divulge what they're really doing in their flagship restaurants, otherwise they're making themselves lose potential clients/business. However, I have noticed that thomas keller tends to go based off a lot of his actual recipes, it's really dependent on execution not so much the recipe.

sscookwaresets

04-02-12 22:46.53 - Post#2457659    

• gabrielarelch Said:
Penne alla vodka

SOURCE: Nigella Lawson’s Feast

PREPARATION TIME: less than 5 min

COOKING TIME: 30 – 35 min

CUISINE: Modern Italian

Ingredients

* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 tbsp garlic-infused oil (I just used olive oil and 2 cloves of garlic)
* Salt
* 1 can chopped tomatoes
* 1 tbsp double cream
* penne rigate or other short, preferably ridged, pasta
* 65 ml vodka
* 2 tbsp unsalted butter
* Parmesan for grating over at the table (I used cheddar)

Method

1. If you are cooking this just before you eat, put the water on to boil before you start the sauce. You will need a big pan, enough to take the pasta and its sauce later.

2. Finely chop the onion, either by hand or in a processor. In a large pan, heat the garlic oil and add the finely chopped onion and a good sprinkling of salt. Cook the onion fairly gently for about 15 minutes without letting it catch and burn, which just means giving it a stir every now and again. It should be very soft and just beginning to caramelize.

3. Tip in the can of chopped tomatoes and continue cooking over a gentle heat, simmering for another 15-20 minutes. If you’re cooking this in advance, stop here.

4. Reheat the almost finished tomatoes (or just continue as you were if you’re making this recipe in one go), stir in the double cream and take the pan off the heat. When the water for the pasta comes to the boil add a good measure of salt and tip in the penne. Set a timer for 3-4 minutes less than the packet instructions for cooking it, as you want to make sure it’s cooked al dente and will need to start tasting early.

5. Drain the cooked pasta, tip it back in the pan and pour over the vodka, add the butter and some more salt. Turn the penne in the vodka and melting butter and then tip it into the tomato sauce unless it is easier to pour the tomato sauce over the pasta: it depends on the sizes of the pans you are using.

6. Toss the pasta in the sauce until it is evenly coated and turn out into a large, warmed bowl. Put it on the table along with a block of parmesan cheese and a grater.

What a great recipe! I made this recipe with red wine instead of vodka. The taste is amazing. Try this recipe. Hope you will enjoy it surely.

Stainless Steel Cookware Reviews

alora

03-15-13 00:24.10 - Post#2538288    

Buying showroom kitchen display from london?

My sister recommended purchasing a kitchen display from home depot to cut costs on my remodel. Has anyone had experience doing this, and how do I go about doing it?
thanking.......
Bathroom showroom Essex

Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.12 seconds.   Total Queries: 66   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 08:30.39