Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Print Topic

Username Post: Carrying knives in Great Britain?
BC0311
Master Member KnifeNut!

BC0311
07-24-03 04:38.14 - Post#283173    

My 21 year old son will be living in London for a year, as a student and worker. What restrictions are there for carrying knives? For instance: various Swiss Army Knives, an Emerson Mini-CQC-7A (2.9" blade) or Mini-Commander, and a Leatherman Wave?

He will take train rides up to Scotland as well as other places.

Thank you for your help.
BC
JustinTime
Journeyman KnifeNut!

07-24-03 07:35.58 - Post#283221    

Hi
Basically a folder with a blade 3 inches or less will be fine. If it has a locking blade then there's the potential for bother since case law has held that a locking blade doesn't count as a folder since it "fixes" the blade (I'm paraphrasing the judgement). So the Leatherman Wave is potentially dodgy and I've stopped using mine as EDC after looking at the law.
It is legal to carry longer blades and fixed blades if you can show good reason, work, hobby etc "I forgot it was there" doesn't count Anything that is primarily for defence/offence will get you in a lot of trouble, as will knives which are advertised as Combat or military knives. Any knife which is made to look like something else is also illegal as are switchblades etc.

Of course the main issue is not to get searched/caught in the first place. So getting anything bigger than a 3 inch SAK through customs may be difficult.

Here's a couple of links:
UK Knife laws

Police plea over 'holiday weapons'

Whilst English Law and Scots Law are often very different they're the same in this case although Scotish police seem to be particularly vigorous in trying to crack down on weapons carrying.

Justin

ps Good tip for your son, England and Scotland are separate countries so he shouldn't use england/english when he really means Scotland/Scottish. It would be like me calling a southerner a Yankee over with you.
BC0311
Master Member KnifeNut!

BC0311
07-24-03 08:15.53 - Post#283235    

Hi JustinTime, thank you for all the good information and links. Well, I think I will get him a different multi-tool to take, also, I think the Emerson better stay here.

I'll take a closer look at the Victorinox Swiss-Tools, see if they have locking blades or not. I think that Swiss Cross is pretty benign in appearance.

A couple of non-locking SAKs and a single, less than 3" bladed slip-joint.

Anybody have any other ideas?
BC

Bill2000
Journeyman KnifeNut!

07-24-03 10:52.49 - Post#283283    

Thank God for the Revolution!
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Smaug
Journeyman KnifeNut!

Smaug
07-24-03 11:20.33 - Post#283295    

The Swisstool does have locking blades. As a matter of fact, all the tools lock individually. It is really a very nice piece. Even though the blade locks, I would not hesitate to carry it. I would hope that the British court would realize that: A) the main implement is a pliers B) It is called a tool, not a knife C) It would not make a very good weapon as it takes a bit to get the blade open.

If you're still worried about it, just send him with a needlenose pliers and a Victorinox Super Tinker. Hopefully, they won't consider the needlenose pliers a weapon.
BC0311
Master Member KnifeNut!

BC0311
07-24-03 15:35.16 - Post#283376    

Thanks Smaug, but I'll just send a different version of the Leatherman. He has 2 or three Swiss Army Knives.
BC

fulltang
Journeyman KnifeNut!

07-25-03 01:25.19 - Post#283432    

Lets just make sure that those kind of laws NEVER get passed here!!
"never get caught without an edge"

Martin
Master Member KnifeNut!

Martin
07-25-03 09:11.49 - Post#283520    

If you think that the UK knife laws are draconian - check out hand gun legislation!!!

Martin
Mrtn - BckyrdKnfMchncsClb and an "excéntrico"

BC0311
Master Member KnifeNut!

BC0311
07-25-03 12:52.11 - Post#283575    

I ordered a different Leatherman for him today. No locking blades, lightweight and has all the necessary tools. He has a Vic Swiss Champ, a Vic Farmer and a Vic Midnite Mini-Champ. Plus he'll take a Case stag handled Tiny Toothpick and a Case 5375 stag Premium Stockman.

These should cover his needs and not raise any eyebrows. Thanks again for the information and links.
BC
Leatherman XE6 (his has grey anodized aluminum handles)

Esav Benyamin
Master Member KnifeNut!

07-25-03 15:05.40 - Post#283630    

Nice piece of equipment. I got one recently myself, and gave it my nephew. Although I was leery of the blades not locking, I found the backsprings hold them in place very nicely, and the whole package is a lot less threatening than a larger knife would be.
http://www.AKTI.org
http://www.USKTA.org

V-1
Journeyman KnifeNut!

07-26-03 01:32.44 - Post#283713    

How about a Spyderco Pride? It has a non-locking blade and is an efficient cutter.
BC0311
Master Member KnifeNut!

BC0311
07-26-03 03:41.01 - Post#283732    

That "Pride" with the Union Jack would be pretty friendly looking in London, wouldn't it?

BC

Ditchfield
Journeyman KnifeNut!

07-27-03 03:21.15 - Post#283929    

My main EDC tool is the leather juice Kf4. I chose this one over the others because of its outdoor themed tools as I live in the countryside. I visited London last weekend and saw many people with the more traditional locking leatherman tools clearly visible on their belts, so this doesn't seem to be a problem. As is often the case in UK you will not be stopped and prosecuted for carrying a locking folder but if you are stopped for something else, they will add it to your list of crimes.
Pete

BC0311
Master Member KnifeNut!

BC0311
07-28-03 06:05.40 - Post#284227    

Thanks for the info, Ditchfield.

When I ordered his XE6, I ordered the KF4 in storm grey for myself. The KF4 had all the kind of blades and all the tools I would use and is lightweight. For me, a corkscrew is a waste of weight and space.

Since he will be a guest in your country for a year, it would be wisest for him to go with non-locking blades.

BC
KF4

ofelas
Member KnifeNut!

ofelas
07-30-03 08:50.19 - Post#284802    

Ideally, a straight razor, shaving brush & tube of shaving cream all carried together
Failing which, any sub-3" FULLY serrated blade with a blunt tip, like a "river rescue/diving" utility knife with a bright plastic handle for the "harmless, outdoorsy look".

Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.071 seconds.   Total Queries: 74   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 21:05.16